Appomattox Regional Governor’s School
for the arts & technology
512 W. Washington St, 23803 | P:804-722-0200 F:804-722-0201
Theatre Arts where our goal is to develop knowledgeable and capable theatre artists who exemplify professionalism, versatility, and artistic integrity.
After their freshman year students are given the opportunity to declare an area of concentration in either Musical Theatre, Technical Theatre, or Advanced Theatre Studies. This allows students the chance to work amongst similarly motivated peers to reach higher levels of ability in their respective fields.
Consist of students with focuses in:
- Show Choir:
- Received 2nd Place in B Division in the Hampton Roads Show Choir Invitational
- Received 1st Place in Division II at the Martinsburg Show Choir Festival
- Received trophies for Best Choreography and Best Show Design
- Virginia Theatre Association Conference:
- Has received many awards and recognitions, below are just a few:
- Judges Honorable Mention (SUPERIOR RATING) for Flight of the Lawnchair Man
- All Star Cast Awards (Only 24 individuals in the entire festival awarded and ARGS was one of only 2 school which had more then one student recognized)
- 1st Place in Tech Olympics
- 1st Place Mask Making (VTA asked Our student to head up a mask making workshop for the following year)
- 3rd Place Mask Making
- 2nd Place Scene Design
- Student from ARGS on Team that placed 1st for “On-the-Spot-Playwriting”
- Student from ARGS on Team that placed 3rd for “On-the-Spot-Playwriting”
- “Swinging on a Star: The Johnny Burke Musical” came in 2nd at the Sectional Competition and advancing to Regionals ARGS was one of only two schools to get multiple acting awards.
- Theatre Arts Majors has been selected as winners of New Voices for the Theatre annual playwriting competition on numorous occasions.
- College matriculation in top-ranked Theatre programs
- Have won multiple awards at VHSL Regional One Act Festival
- ARGS improv team skETCh took 1st place at the High School Comedy Showdown sponsored by Random Acts at HATTheatre
- Graduates have gone on to work professionally in area theaters including The Firehouse Theatre Project and Barkesdale Theatre, Broadway
||Foundations/Acting I, Musical Theatre Applied Voice Jr., Musical Theatre Applied Voice Sr., Theatre History, Show Choir I, II, III, IV, Acting III
||Foundations/Acting I, Acting II, IV, Dir./Playwriting
||Theatre Productions I, Stagecraft, Theatre Mngt. Scene Design, Theatre Independent Project
Copyright © 2013 Appomattox Regional Governor's School